So for mother’s day this year we made flower bouquets and the kids hands. A & S had a great time with this project.
First we traced their hands. Then we cut out strips of green paper for the stems. A & S cut out flowers that we printed. Next they glued the flowers into the green stems. Then, after cutting out their hand print we placed the flowers into their hands and wrapped their fingers around the stem so it looked like they were holding them.
A big hit for all! Happy mother’s day to the best mom’s I know!
We have been reading several books about water, exploring the seas, and submarines. Papas Mechanical Fish by Candace Fleming is a wonderful book. So we decided to build a cardboard submarine! This was our first cardboard creation that I actually created a plan for first.
A has been asking about doing an experiment. So after a quick Pinterest search I found this fun looking one. (A likes things that combine water, food coloring, & some mess, so this looked perfect!) We took a short clear glass, added some water, topped it with regular foam shaving cream, & then slowly added drops of food coloring. Through trial & error we learning that less shaving cream makes the experiment go faster.
We experimented with colors, amounts, stirring. And then as we saw it start to drip through, we talked about rain clouds.
What a fun experiment! SKILLS: Fine Motor, color mixing, rain.
Today I spent less than $3 on golf tees to use with my extra pegboard & Rubber bands. This has been well spent money!
I took an spare cardboard box, used painters tape to secure pegboard to the box. Then I handed A & S some golf tees and rubber bands. They are having a blast!
A & S had fun trying different ways to push or pound the tees into the box.
A is making different shaped with the golf tees. Then they had a great time adding rubber bands.
Fun was had by all, and it continues even days later!
SKILLS: Fine Motor, Shapes, Colors, Imagination, Independent Play, Cooperative Play.
Today we made this Crusty Instant Pot Sourdough Bread. This was my first time making sourdough bread. The kids enjoyed helping.
Initially I opened the wrong kind of yeast, which meant the kids got to explore & play. Then they looked at the different kinds.
Their favorite part was kneading the dough, or really just playing with the yeast and flour.
I am extremely happy with how it turned out. It not only looks delicious, it taste even better!
Today A & I spent some time drawing together. I decided to see how she would do if I drew one thing and she was supposed to copy me. I was impressed with how well she did! She loved this activity! Sometimes I started the drawing & she copied. Then other times she started and I followed her lines.
I asked A what she wanted to do the next day. She answered with “eat ice cream all day long.” Now as fun as that sounds I told her that was not quite possible. So instead I found many activities that centered around ice cream. And what a fun day it was going to be!
I had several activities set up and a few more we created along the way. We started by reading Should I Share My Ice Cream (thanks for the book mom!). Then we did our activities all throughout the day. We had 1) Pompom Sprinkles (inspiration from here),2) Alphabet Scoops, & 3) Making our own ice cream. Then we added 4) Dice lead ice cream coloring. What a fun day it was. (And most of these activities were so super easy to set up & for the most part A & S could rotate as they pleased between them.)
Today we covered our kid table with aluminum foil, held in places with painters tape. (We find ourselves using painters tape (great ways to make quick roads/obstacle courses on the floor) & Foil Tape (best way to hold pieces of cardboard together) so often!) Spread the drop cloth underneath and then got out some paint. We also used this opportunity to try out our new fun shaped rollers & dabbers. We squirted a bit of paint right onto the foil and let them go. (It was fun watching them work together squeezing the bottles and painting on the same big area).
Categories: Art, Uncategorized
I had a couple extra glass doors from any old medicine cabinet, so I decided to try a DIY Stained Glass project. I am pretty happy with how it turned out, but even more I had fun doing it.
First I picked a deign for my window. Then I half traced/free-handed the design on with a Sharpie.
Next I used a combination of black paint and regular white Elmer’s glue to make the thick black lines.
Then I used clear glue and colored paint mixed together to paint in the rest of the design.
Next time I would probably use a little more glue to paint ratio.
Categories: Art, Uncategorized
Tags: Art, DIY
The 2018 Winter Olympics have started! To celebrate we held an Olympic Party! We had everything from Olympic games, Olympic themed foods, & great friends.