So for mother’s day this year we made flower bouquets and the kids hands. A & S had a great time with this project.
First we traced their hands. Then we cut out strips of green paper for the stems. A & S cut out flowers that we printed. Next they glued the flowers into the green stems. Then, after cutting out their hand print we placed the flowers into their hands and wrapped their fingers around the stem so it looked like they were holding them.
A big hit for all! Happy mother’s day to the best mom’s I know!
A has been asking about doing an experiment. So after a quick Pinterest search I found this fun looking one. (A likes things that combine water, food coloring, & some mess, so this looked perfect!) We took a short clear glass, added some water, topped it with regular foam shaving cream, & then slowly added drops of food coloring. Through trial & error we learning that less shaving cream makes the experiment go faster.
We experimented with colors, amounts, stirring. And then as we saw it start to drip through, we talked about rain clouds.
What a fun experiment! SKILLS: Fine Motor, color mixing, rain.
Today I spent less than $3 on golf tees to use with my extra pegboard & Rubber bands. This has been well spent money!
I took an spare cardboard box, used painters tape to secure pegboard to the box. Then I handed A & S some golf tees and rubber bands. They are having a blast!
A & S had fun trying different ways to push or pound the tees into the box.
A is making different shaped with the golf tees. Then they had a great time adding rubber bands.
Fun was had by all, and it continues even days later!
SKILLS: Fine Motor, Shapes, Colors, Imagination, Independent Play, Cooperative Play.
Today A & I spent some time drawing together. I decided to see how she would do if I drew one thing and she was supposed to copy me. I was impressed with how well she did! She loved this activity! Sometimes I started the drawing & she copied. Then other times she started and I followed her lines.
Today we covered our kid table with aluminum foil, held in places with painters tape. (We find ourselves using painters tape (great ways to make quick roads/obstacle courses on the floor) & Foil Tape (best way to hold pieces of cardboard together) so often!) Spread the drop cloth underneath and then got out some paint. We also used this opportunity to try out our new fun shaped rollers & dabbers. We squirted a bit of paint right onto the foil and let them go. (It was fun watching them work together squeezing the bottles and painting on the same big area).
Categories: Art, Uncategorized
I had a couple extra glass doors from any old medicine cabinet, so I decided to try a DIY Stained Glass project. I am pretty happy with how it turned out, but even more I had fun doing it.
First I picked a deign for my window. Then I half traced/free-handed the design on with a Sharpie.
Next I used a combination of black paint and regular white Elmer’s glue to make the thick black lines.
Then I used clear glue and colored paint mixed together to paint in the rest of the design.
Next time I would probably use a little more glue to paint ratio.
Categories: Art, Uncategorized
Tags: Art, DIY
The 2018 Winter Olympics have started! To celebrate we held an Olympic Party! We had everything from Olympic games, Olympic themed foods, & great friends.
So we had the opportunity to watch a College hockey game at our alma mater a few weeks ago with family. This was a first for S, but A’s second game. The kids enjoyed it, especially the live marching band. And after we got home it was all S could talk about. So I grabbed some cardboard box, tape, & scissors & got to work making a couple hockey sticks and a puck. I ended up putting some plastic knives between 2 pieces of cardboard before taping them together for added stability. And it worked like a charm.
Today we are having our electric panel replaced, so that means 4-5 hours without power. Which, we spend a lot of our time outside so it’s not that big of a deal. But we have decided to make it an “Adventure Day”. Part of our adventures is doing something new. So one of our new things was Sparkle Thinking Putty. We used the instructions by Little Bins.
We have recently moved and are still getting fully situated in the new house. Part of that includes setting up areas for the kids. We used to have a magnetic board in the kitchen for magnet play, but this house does not have a place for that. So today I created a 2’x3′ magnetic wall in each of the kids rooms.