We have had some crazy weather lately, so we decided to do a unit on weather.
Today was no exception. Sunny & warm 1 minute, then dark & bad storms the next. And then not even 10 minutes later back to sunny & clear like nothing happened.
So we took these moments of rain to come in & start our unit. As expected today we started with rain.
We started with a basic “what is weather”. Then who studies weather. Next we talked about how they use tools to make their predictions. Next we talked about rain, precipitation, and how it is measured. And then we ended by making our own rain gauge.
(Caption: Tools. Rain gauge. And a picture of our rain gauge.)
Instructions for the Rain Gauge:
* 1 – 1 liter bottle.
* Sharp knife
* Cut off top of bottle (around 4″ or so)
* Turn the top upside down & place it into the bottle.
* Line up the edges & tape in place.
* Use a ruler to mark intervals on the side of bottle. (0 at the bottom & go as high as you like).
* Place it outside & wait for rain.
A did a great job paying attention and engaged. (Took about 20 minutes). But of course the sun was back out by the time we were done. But now we are prepared for the next rain!